Sedative, stimulant, relaxant, anti inflammatory, antiseptic, bactericide, etc.
- Nutmeg oil is potent brain booster, increasing circulation and allowing you to concentrate better. It also works by stimulating the brain and therefore removes mental exhaustion and stress.
- Nutmeg oil also stimulates the cardiovascular system and therefore is a good tonic for the heart.
- Nutmeg is an effective liver and kidney detoxifier.
- Nutmeg powder heated on the pan with sesame oil until brown is an effective external application to relieve any rheumatic pain, neuralgia and sciatica. The oil should be cooled and strained before application. Nutmeg oil is also effective in treating menstrual cramps, muscular and joint pain as it is an excellent sedative.
- Nutmeg can help clear up congestion due to colds, this is the reason why it is used in many cough syrups.
- Nutmeg powder (about 5 to 15 grams), mixed with apple juice or banana, is used as a specific remedy for diarrhea caused by indigestion.
- A regular massage of the abdomen with nutmeg oil, three weeks before delivery is believed to be very helpful for child birth.
- Nutmeg paste mixed with honey is given to infants who cry at night for no apparent reason, to induce sleep.
- Nutmeg oil helps in removing bad breath. It is also antiseptic in nature and is effective for toothaches and aching gums.
Known as a popular spice around the world, nutmeg is also popular for its many health benefits. In fact, since ancient times, nutmeg has been used as a remedy for various ailments or to improve health in general. Here are some of the health benefits that nutmeg provides.
1. Brain Tonic
During ancient times, Roman and Greek civilizations used nutmeg as a type of brain tonic. This is because nutmeg can effectively stimulate your brain. As a result, it can help eliminate fatigue and stress. If you are suffering from anxiety or depression, nutmeg may also be a good remedy. Nutmeg can also improve your concentration so you can become more efficient and focused at work or at school.
2. Pain Relief
Nutmeg is also an effective sedative. In fact, nutmeg is a staple in ancient Chinese medicine. The Chinese used the spice to treat inflammation and abdominal pain. Use nutmeg if you are suffering from aching joints, muscle pain, arthritis, sores and other ailments. To relieve the pain, apply nutmeg oil to the affected areas.
3. Indigestion Relief
If you suffer from digestion-related problems like diarrhea, constipation, bloating, flatulence and so on, nutmeg can effectively offer you relief. Nutmeg oil relieves stomachaches by removing the excess gas from your intestines. Nutmeg can also boost your appetite.
4. Bad Breath Treatment
Because of its antibacterial properties, nutmeg can also effectively treat halitosis or bad breath. As you probably know, bad breath is usually caused by a build-up of bacteria in your mouth. Nutmeg can rid your mouth of these bacteria. This is the reason why nutmeg is a common ingredient in many brands of toothpastes. Nutmeg can also be used to treat gum problems and toothaches.
5. Liver and Kidney Detox
Detoxification is an important factor of good health. Diet, pollution, stress, tobacco, medication and other external substances can lead to the build-up of toxins in your organs. The liver and kidney are two of the organs where this toxic build-up usually develops. As a tonic, nutmeg can clean your liver and kidney and remove these toxins. If you are suffering from a liver disease then nutmeg can also be beneficial. Nutmeg is also effective in preventing and dissolving kidney stones. When your liver and kidney are successfully detoxified, they can perform their function better.
6. Skin Care
If skin care is one of your priorities then you might want to incorporate nutmeg into your regimen. Nutmeg can actually help you achieve smoother and healthier skin by helping you treat several skin problems. A scrub made from nutmeg powder and orange lentil powder can help you remove blackheads, a type of acne characterized by pores clogged with excess oil and dead skin cells. If you suffer from acne marks, nutmeg can also help make your scars less noticeable. What you need to do is mix some nutmeg powder with some honey to make a paste, which you will then apply to the acne marks.
7. Sleep Aid
If you have difficulty sleeping at night, drink a cup of milk with some nutmeg powder. This will help you achieve relaxation and will induce sleep.